Monday, April 27, 2009

Belated 9 Months!

Emily turned 9 months old on the 24th. I had planned to make a post that evening, but for the past several days she has been having a tough time with what we are pretty sure is teething. Poor Sweetie has been really cranky - obviously not feeling well and napping very poorly as a result. She developed a fever yesterday, which got up to 102. She still had it today, so my plan is to call the pediatrician if it continues to hang on until tomorrow. Thankfully, she hasn't developed any other symptoms. We're praying that this really is only teething! Emily's 9-month well baby visit is on Friday, so we'll see if the doctor thinks it's necessary for us to come in before then.
This picture was taken last night. The look on her face says it all!

We're still waiting for the next "big" milestone to come. Emily isn't crawling yet. She actually seems more interested in walking and always wants us to hold her hands so she can stand up. Needless to say, that cuts down on tummy time. We're trying not to be too concerned about it. We know she'll crawl and/or walk when she is ready. In the meantime, we're just trying to be as facilitative as we can! I have to admit though...she gets her way a lot when it comes down to tummy time vs. walking time.

Emily is really enjoying her meals now. She has gotten very good at eating finger foods like cereal puffs, steamed veggies, peeled grapes, egg yolk, and bits of bread. She prefers to feed herself, but some foods just aren't conducive to that yet. She tries her best though! She likes to grab the spoon and hold onto it after I've put it into her mouth. As you can see, it usually looks like we've had a food fight by the time we're done.

One other fun notable...Emily communicated her first sign yesterday. We have been teaching her a little bit of sign language (all done, more, please) to aid in communication while her speech develops. There have been times that I thought she might have been giving me a sign, but this time it was for sure! She put her fingers together to say she wanted "more" water. It was so exciting!!
I know I've said this in probably every monthly birthday update, but being a parent is so amazing. It is the most wonderful gift to see this life growing and developing each day. Kyle and I are incredibly blessed.

3 comments:

Los Canchola said...

That is wonderful! She is gorgeous and obviously so smart. I'll need your advice on speech development as I will also having to be teaching Madeline spanish. Congratulations on so many milestones.

Lindsay said...

Those pictures are great! Even the sad one - poor thing! I hope she gets to feeling better soon. That's so cool about her signing!

Andrea said...

I love the food picture. :D Who am I kidding, I love all the pictures. Her smile is just so full of joy. :) She's a total sweetheart and you guys are awesome parents.